Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 10:48:47 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 04:38:44AM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 04/07/2015 07:51 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Git is a monster to learn, taking an order of magnitude longer than to
> > learn Mercurial or Bazaar, and a greater jump still from learning CVS.

> When trying to use Bazaar, I've consistently been put off by the lack of
> transparency of its data model. Or at least that was the feeling.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "data model", but my feeling was
similar, combined with the feeling it didn't matter that much - most
things just worked.

> > However, a lot of people like git, possibly for reasons similar to the
> > ones why we dislike it.

> That's possible. And like mentioned by Andreas, maybe also for the
> similar reasons some people (e.g. myself) like Emacs.

I don't think think that's a valid comparison.  In Emacs, you chose what
level of complexity you work at, and you can learn it gradually.  At a
basic level, you can work Emacs with self-insert keys, arrow keys, and
six or seven essential commands (C-g, C-x C-f, C-x C-s, C-x C-c, C-/, and
one or two others).  All these commands are "simple", in the sense they
don't require you to specify obscure options, or anything like that.

In git, the complexity seems gratuitous - the user is exposed to the
maximum level of detail possible rather than the minimum required to use
it productively.  This can be seen by comparing it with Mercurial, which
has the same level of capability explained in a single man page of
~300kB, compared with git's man pages of over 2MB.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).