Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 20:11:14 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 08:12:52PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Alan, if you have a few moments to spare, could you read
> GitQuickStartForEmacsDevs and see if the current procedures there
> appeal to you (or maybe even tell you something useful you didn't
> already know)?  Your comments will be appreciated.

> TIA

First impression (though I have glanced at it quite a few times in
passing): it's a good simple intro to git.

Small point: one of the examples commits a ChangeLog, which as from
today, we don't do any more.

Bigger point: the workflow depicted implicitly assumes that _all_
changes made to files are to be committed in one commit action.  I think
it would be better if this was stated explicitly, with a sentence like
"The following commands assume _all_ the changes you have made to any
files will be committed together." immediately under the heading "Daily
Work".  I would naturally prefer the commands only to commit specified
files (I work this way), but I can appreciate not wanting the guide to
get complicated.

I actually use git stash rather than commits with messages like "Commit
to allow pull from upstream."; I find it the lesser of two evils - I
don't think one should have to commit unnaturally because of constraints
in the tools.  I think the sub-workflow git stash; git pull; git stash
pop might be worth mentioning.

It might be useful to mention "git checkout foo.el" as doing what we
used to know as "bzr revert foo.el", perhaps under the "If you made a
mistake" section.  I remember I had to ask for this command on
emacs-devel, once.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).