Re: Increase minimum required GTK versions?

From: Alex Gramiak
Subject: Re: Increase minimum required GTK versions?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 13:33:31 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Alex Gramiak <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 13:05:30 -0600
>>
>> > Are you sure?  I still see the code related to this being removed.
>>
>> That's part of the simplification of the code. Before it uses a
>> predicate procedure to check the value of x_gtk_use_old_file_dialog,
>> which I removed in favour of checking the variable directly. It also
>> used function pointers to wrapper procedures to get the filename, which
>> I removed in favour of calling the gtk procedures directly. The actual
>> old file dialog (xg_get_file_with_selection) is, in this patch, still
>> present. I tested again with GTK 2.24 and GTK 3.10 and it worked as
>> expected.
>
> Please don't simplify that part, but instead leave it alone.

Why, especially since the reason for the complexity was because of
supporting an older (older than the current minimum) GTK version? I
don't believe that the code is so fragile that it has to be left alone.

> Why was the configure-time test related to that removed?

That test was for versions pre-2.4 that did not support the old file
dialog; there's no use for it now. See commit
572a3cc2664adea7b5a3303b04b57fe1ba5b4641 for the introduction of the
test.

> Please also don't obsolete the variable, I see no reason to do that.

Why not, since it's part of an obsolete (in GTK 2) and removed (in GTK
3) GTK interface? This seems like the time to obsolete such a variable.

IMO it would do well to obsolete it at least for (version<= "3"
gtk-version-string) since it does nothing there.