[Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:27:13 -0700

Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>> Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> writes:
>> [...]
>>> How come some of your rewrites above still use the `org-babel-' prefix?
>>> (As a side note, I don't see what Emacs guidelines suggest `ob-' is more
>>> appropriate than `org-babel-', and I would personally prefer to retain
>>> the latter -- it's much more descriptive.)
>>>     Štěpán
>> Hi Štěpán,
>> The guidelines I mentioned (I believe) specify that all file names for
>> emacs-lisp files which are part of Emacs must be unique in the first 6
>> or so characters.  This is why all "(require 'ob-*)" lines (which must
>> correspond to file names) now use ob-* instead of org-babel-*.  Since I
>> (like you) prefer the org-babel-* prefixes, those have been retained for
>> all function and variable names.
> I see. Hm... could you provide some source for that? The only
> restriction on file names I can recall is this section from Appendix D
> of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual:
>    * Please keep the names of your Emacs Lisp source files to 13
>      characters or less.  This way, if the files are compiled, the
>      compiled files' names will be 14 characters or less, which is
>      short enough to fit on all kinds of Unix systems.
> Is that perhaps what you meant? In any case, I see that the
> recommendation I quote above would make the file renaming necessary,
> too.

Maybe that is the ultimate source, this requirement came to me by way of
a recommendation from Carsten when we first discussed merging babel into
the Org-mode core.

> (Also, I believe you actually did mention renaming *functions*, which
> created my confusion in the first place -- cf. the commit message of
> e0e4d76094f26 for example.)

my bad.

>> Hope this explains it, I'm certainly open to other naming suggestions.
> It would make a lot of sense to at least still begin the file names with
> `org' IMHO, if at all possible.

hmm, the longest (non-language-specific) file name is already 12
characters long,

(length "ob-tangle.el") ;; => 12

which doesn't give us much room to play around with.  Looking at a
couple of possible prefixes, and the related leftover characters for
differentiating the *-tangle, *-comint, *-ref, etc... core babel files,
yields the following

| prefix   | remaining characters |
| ob-      |                    5 |
| org-b-   |                    2 |
| orgb-    |                    3 |
| org-bbl- |                    0 |
| bbl-     |                    4 |
| babel-   |                    2 |
#+TBLFM: $2='(sbe leftover (prefix $$1))

#+source: leftover
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var prefix=""
   ;; length w/o .el
   (- 13 (length ".el"))
   ;; length of prefix
   (length prefix))

Personally, none of the above seem to be particularly superior to the
current naming scheme, given the fact that we need to fit multiple files
behind this prefix.

-- Eric