[O] Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX (was: Fwd: Exporting latex witho

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX (was: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:35:58 +0200

* Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
> Aloha Rafael,

Sorry, I thought you might as well be interested in my point of
view.

First: I am pretty new to Org-mode but I am using LaTeX a while now
and I am even teaching LaTeX to motivated beginners.

> Is there a reason not to have everything in one .org file?  I find
> Org-mode's ability to fold on headlines and to edit subtrees in indirect
> buffers very convenient, even for long documents.  For my work, that
> functionality has replaced LaTeX \include files.

I did not follow the thread here but I do think I get the idea that
you want to replace LaTeX with Org-mode and generate a PDF via
LaTeX/PDF-export functionality of Org-mode.

On the one hand, I do agree that (simple) PDF documents are written
very easily with Org-mode. But on the other hand you are going to
add just another layer. This means that you probably end up wanting
this LaTeX feature in Org-mode, that other handy LaTeX feature too
and so forth.

In my point of view, if you leave the basic stuff, you should stick
to LaTeX. And I do have good news to you: You are very fortune
because Emacs does have the IMHO most advanced editor support for
LaTeX: AucTeX (with all of its extensions like preview-latex and
RefTeX).

I plan to use Org-mode as an outline tool for larger documents,
where the basic structure evolves, keywords are moved from one part
to the other. But before I start to write the detailed document
content, I move to AucTeX, having the great possibilities for
writing documents that end up being great PDFs.

But this is just my point of view.

--
Karl Voit