Re: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX (was: Fwd: Exporting latex w

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX (was: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:35:56 -1000

Aloha Karl,

I agree that AucTeX is awesome.  I use it every day at work with much
pleasure.

I've been using Org-mode with the goal of creating reproducible
research, where the LaTeX output is just one part of the package.  In my
case, this is something that requires Org-mode for its ability to pass
results between code blocks written in different languages.  I can't do
these things in AucTeX.

At first, like you, I was suspicious of adding a layer between me and
LaTeX.  I was impatient with figuring out how to make the little things
work right.  I'm still not able to control LaTeX as finely as I'd like
from within Org-mode, but I've managed to close the gap sufficiently
that my last four publications were authored completely with Org-mode.
The one I'm working on now is Org-mode, too.  I'm really liking it as an
authoring environment.

All the best,
Tom

--