[emacs-wiki-discuss] planner problems...

From: David O'Toole
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner problems...
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:09:46 -0500

************
Sacha,

For some reason I can't post this to the list. Can you forward it for
me?
************

Hi everyone.

For months I have been using sacha's planner/remember/emacs-wiki
package version 2004.06.26-17.04-stable. I've attached my .emacs file
to this message.

Once again let me congratulate everyone who works on and participates
in planner for doing such a great job. I organize all my work with
planner and have done so since 2004.03.22 or thereabouts. My planner
wiki is now organized around my job description, so I can track tasks
by area of responsibility and keep all my notes with them, as well as
write complete documents (with tables of contents etc) published to
PDF through Firefox. I've even done a bit of custom lisp and would
love to do more, possibly contributing pieces if I do anything cool
enough.

I'm at a crossroads because I'm unable to successfully upgrade planner
(details below.) Also, I'm thinking of switching to Muse but don't
want to lose the Wiki functionality that I use---I want the transition
to be as seamless as possible. Anyone else have experiences to
contribute to a planner-to-muse-migration howto?

Anyway, on to the details of my problem.

I used to upgrade with the following script:

#!/bin/bash
#
# upgrade-planner
#

wget http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/sacha-stable.tar.gz
tar xvzf sacha-stable.tar.gz

The files there seem recent, but I can't upgrade to this planner
because it has some problems.

1. When I turn off font-locking with C-c C-l, only the links and
   headings "* Diary" "* Tasks" go back to normal text. Everything
   else (red/green/blue task priority colors, task ID face) stays
   font-locked.

2. Font locking looks fine when just turned on---however, it seems
   very slow and pauses emacs often for several seconds when editing
   text in a large block of tasks---for each character typed. I often
   have 150+ tasks on my day page and I work in the top few
   "paragraphs" of tasks... when I switch back to my "known working"
   planner from 2004.06.26, there's no speed problem even with lots
   and lots of tasks.

3. Font locking falls apart sometimes after saving. Now the Headings
   and links stay ON and everything else is off (the reverse of #1.)
   Also, the task mark _X>oCP reappears when it should be hidden.

4. When saving a planner page, I get a lot more "args out of range ###
   ###" messages and duplicate tasks than normal. I get this even with my
good copy of planner, but there are definitely more with the recent
tarball. This doesn't seem to affect emacs-wiki pages without tasks on
them.

5. Completely unable to publish with C-c C-p or C-u C-c C-p. It always
   fails with emacs-wiki-publish-files: Wrong type argument: stringp,
   ("/home/dto/Plans/2004.11.29"). That's a date in the future but it
   is a valid plan page file with an appointment listed in its diary
   section.

I get the following lines in the *Messages* buffer (is there a way to
keep more of these? I can't scroll back that far....)

/home/dto/Plans/2004.04.10
/home/dto/Plans/2004.06.13
/home/dto/Plans/Amenities
/home/dto/Plans/2004.05.18
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.20
/home/dto/Plans/2004.e3
/home/dto/Plans/2004.08.27
/home/dto/Plans/ItManager
/home/dto/Plans/JoeFaulstick
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.25
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.19
/home/dto/Plans/ApartmentSearch
/home/dto/Plans/WebsiteProject
/home/dto/Plans/2004.09.14
/home/dto/Plans/WelcomePage
/home/dto/Plans/DavidOtoole
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.18
/home/dto/Plans/2004.09.15
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.22
/home/dto/Plans/AdminCall
/home/dto/Plans/HotelReservations
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.21
/home/dto/Plans/AccountingIssues
/home/dto/Plans/2004.04.08
/home/dto/Plans/BuildingMachines
/home/dto/Plans/WebsitePrototype
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.14
/home/dto/Plans/2004.05.19
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.15
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.16
/home/dto/Plans/2004.04.25
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.13
/home/dto/Plans/TaskPool
/home/dto/Plans/2004.08.24
/home/dto/Plans/ShoppingList
/home/dto/Plans/2004.05.15
/home/dto/Plans/PhoneSystem
/home/dto/Plans/EmacsConfiguration
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.17
/home/dto/Plans/ItBudget
/home/dto/Plans/ArtForum
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.11
/home/dto/Plans/2004.05.13
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.10
/home/dto/Plans/2004.08.11
/home/dto/Plans/PlannerMode
/home/dto/Plans/OfficeManagement
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.09
/home/dto/Plans/2004.03.12
emacs-wiki-publish-files: Wrong type argument: stringp,
("/home/dto/Plans/2004.11.29")
call-interactively: Quit

David O'Toole
Irrational Games