[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Newbie to planner.el and GTD

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Newbie to planner.el and GTD
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:26:15 -0400

Hello, Matiyam!

Welcome to Planner! This weekend I'm going to change plannerlove.com
to a wiki just for Planner so that we can share and organize tips for
doing GTD, Franklin-Covey, and other cool planning systems. =) In the
meantime, the mailing list is a great help!

> ** Do you have plan pages that act as contexts (PlanAtHome,
> PlantAtWork...) and use planner-multi to put tasks in the project
> page and in the context page?

Yup! planner-multi is great for that. Punctuation might behave
weirdly, so I just use plain text. In fact, I'd probably use "home"
and "work" instead of "PlanAtHome" and "PlanAtWork". Easier to type.
=)

> ** How do you get an overall view of which projects have remaining
> tasks?

planner-tasks-overview has

  (defun planner-tasks-overview-show-summary (&optional file-list)
    "Count unscheduled, scheduled, and completed tasks for FILE-LIST.
  If called with an interactive prefix, prompt for the page(s) to
  display. planner-multi is required for multiple pages."

which might be useful.

If you keep a list of running projects or you run it over all the plan
pages (that'll get really long), then you can see a summary of
unscheduled, scheduled, and completed tasks.

> ** Is there a way to move "old" projects to and "old" area?

Alternatively, you could just keep a list of the current projects.
Kinda like my WelcomePage, although probably more frequently updated.

> If you check Sacha's WikiIndex page (
> http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/wiki/WikiIndex.php ) you can see
> the myriad of projects she's been to :)

Most of which I've forgotten about. <laugh> One of the weirdest things
about having your personal knowledgebase on the Net is searching for
something, going "Oooh, that's a cool article!", and realizing that
you're looking at an ancient blog entry.

I don't worry about archiving old plan pages because they're often
still useful and I don't like breaking links for people who might
still be referring to, say, my philosophy notes during college. I get
comments on my history notes and questions on my computer theory
notes. <laugh> It's cruft, but somewhere out there someone might find
it handy.

It's like Gmail. Search, don't sort.

I do, however, like indicating what I'm currently working on, and from
time to time I'll change my header or footer to reflect the pages I
want to promote.

> Thanks a lot for your attention and for this great piece of
> software.

Thank you for becoming part of it! =) We're looking forward to making
it _your_ great piece of software. <grin>

Sacha
--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, juggling