fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] How important is making fabric parallel to everyone else

From: Xinan Wu
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] How important is making fabric parallel to everyone else?
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:30:05 -0700

I am interested, and my usage case is actually a little bit more
complicated: We have many machines in a production cluster. We don't
want to deploy all in parallel, but it's also very inefficient to do
it completely in series. So we deploy four at a time (pull out from
load balancer, wait a minute, deploy, restart, put back in load
balancer). After all this is done, we send a notification email. This
whole sequence is too fancy to implement with fabric but we managed to
write everything in fabfile with fabric 0.1.1 (basically fab call
os.system to start fab subprocess by threads and then join()
afterwards.) However I found it'd be very difficult (if not
impossible) to implement it with the new fabric 0.9 unless I change
fabric code or use a separate wrapper python script.

I think people are talking about adding parallel execution in fabric
but it's not very straightforward.