fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] How important is making fabric parallel to everyone else

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] How important is making fabric parallel to everyone else?
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:32:12 -0400

For the record, the lack of parallelism isn't because we don't think
anyone needs it! It's one of the most obvious/useful extensions to
make; the problem is that it's also one of the more complex ones.

Ideas and code are always welcome; my primary concern is enabling it
without making the code too byzantine; at the same time, the current
setup is probably *too* simple, so I expect finding some middle ground
where we're more parallel/thread safe without having crazy spaghetti
code.

If left to my own devices I'd expect to be focusing on parallelism for
Fabric 1.1 while perhaps paving the way in 1.0 by reorganizing things
or lessening the dependence on naive shared state. If someone can come
up with a decent approach before then, all the better :)

Best,
Jeff