fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric and git clone...

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric and git clone...
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:00:16 -0400

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Jerry Baker<address@hidden> wrote:

> [mydomain.com] err: Permission denied
> (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
> [mydomain.com] err: fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
> Error: The run operation failed on mydomain.com.
>
> If i log in to my production server and git clone manually, I get
> prompted for my password for the git host and it works fine.
>
> Any ideas on how to resolve this ?

Hi Jerry,

This is because git is prompting you for a password, and Fabric is not
capable of detecting prompts other than sudo prompts; thus anything
you run with Fabric's run/sudo/etc commands has to be fully
non-interactive to work correctly.

For your specific case, I'd suggest using public key authentication if
that's possible; another alternative could be to use anonymous
git-daemon checkouts instead of SSH-based ones (though assuming your
git repo is sensitive you'd need to use tcpwrappers or firewalling to
ensure that only your intended client systems can actually hit that
up.)

In the future, Fabric 1.0 (0.9 is in beta right now) will hopefully
have the ability to detect non-sudo-related password prompts; that
doesn't help you right now, but just be aware that this is something
we do plan on adding soon :)

Best,
Jeff