fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] How about including an init command?

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] How about including an init command?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 23:58:17 -0400

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Tom von Schwerdtner <address@hidden> wrote:

>> But it would still save a few steps and it would be very easy to write.
>
> However, I think there is a bigger opportunity here to provide some simple
> docs for the user

Both good points. I have to say that I'm personally quite torn on this
particular subject: as mentioned I've been taught that code generation
is typically a "bad thing", but on the other hand it's *very* useful
in spots (such as some [some!] of Rails' generators, for example) and
there's just some positive feeling to using it that I can't put my
finger on. All things in moderation, I guess is the key.

Tom's doc point is also good; I'm wondering if this can give me ideas
for how to restructure the tutorial that's currently between drafts,
so that it could possibly be used as both a tutorial and this default
fabfile.

Finally -- I do like the idea of someone being able to waltz into
whatever directory they want and do "fab --init" instead of having to
start entirely from scratch -- especially since the fab tool can
barely do anything but complain about a lack of fabfile until one
exists.

Just made a ticket for this: http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/68

Thanks for the input!

-Jeff