fab-user

[Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 final(ly out!)

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 final(ly out!)
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 20:25:45 -0500

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that Fabric 0.9 final is, at long last, out the
door and on PyPI! Please let me know if you encounter any distribution
or installation issues. Some related things of note:

* A "Fabric RC2" went up on PyPI a few minutes prior to final, which
was just me testing some new release/build tasks. It can be safely
ignored. I didn't even bother uploading it to the Redmine files
section.

* Which brings me to my next point: the canonical download location
for Fabric is now http://code.fabfile.org/projects/fabric/files/ .
Obviously I'll keep using PyPI untill/unless something better takes
its place -- but for anyone wanting a stable location for package
management, that's the place. See also [1].

* PyPI apparently doesn't follow setuptools' rules for version
ordering, and wanted to display 0.9rc1/rc2 as coming *after* 0.9.0
final. For now I've removed the RCs, and am actively investigating my
options here. Then again, I don't expect to put prerelease versions on
PyPI in the future (RC1 was just a distribution test) so perhaps it's
a wash.

* I've tweaked docs.fabfile.org's Apache settings; releases are now
listed "in full", i.e. 0.9.0 or 0.9rc1 or etc. /0.9/ now redirects to
the most recent release, right now /0.9.0/. I still have to tweak this
aspect of things a bit, so bear with me. (Do let me know of any
outright breakage, though!)

I think that's it for now, everything else ought to mirror the RC1
release process pretty closely. I will be reaching out to the Python
announce list, some local-to-me Python/Django user groups, and some
folks who've previously blogged about Fabric. If you know anyone who
would be interested in getting or talking about the new version,
please let them know.

Note: I expect development to go much faster now that I've gotten over
most of the large humps involved with a rewrite and reworking of a
project like this. Writing entirely new docs and test toolchains and
release strategies takes a lot of time, but now I can do normal,
incremental tweaks and push them out when ready. I'm looking forward
to 2010 being a great year for Fabric!

Finally, my thanks to everyone who submitted tickets, patches, or even
just sent in a note to the mailing list -- I greatly appreciate all
the support :)

Regards,
Jeff

[1] http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/64