fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 final(ly out!)

From: Jorge Vargas
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 final(ly out!)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:11:47 -0600

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that Fabric 0.9 final is, at long last, out the
> door and on PyPI! Please let me know if you encounter any distribution
> or installation issues. Some related things of note:

Awesome news thank you for this!

> * A "Fabric RC2" went up on PyPI a few minutes prior to final, which
> was just me testing some new release/build tasks. It can be safely
> ignored. I didn't even bother uploading it to the Redmine files
> section.
>
> * Which brings me to my next point: the canonical download location
> for Fabric is now http://code.fabfile.org/projects/fabric/files/ .
> Obviously I'll keep using PyPI untill/unless something better takes
> its place -- but for anyone wanting a stable location for package
> management, that's the place. See also [1].

+1

> * PyPI apparently doesn't follow setuptools' rules for version
> ordering, and wanted to display 0.9rc1/rc2 as coming *after* 0.9.0
> final. For now I've removed the RCs, and am actively investigating my
> options here. Then again, I don't expect to put prerelease versions on
> PyPI in the future (RC1 was just a distribution test) so perhaps it's
> a wash.

yea this is a problem. perhaps do alpha, beta and if needed c as
release candidate stuff? anything after 0.9.0f will be after 0.9.0 but
before 0.9.1, setuptools is.... oh well.

> * I've tweaked docs.fabfile.org's Apache settings; releases are now
> listed "in full", i.e. 0.9.0 or 0.9rc1 or etc. /0.9/ now redirects to
> the most recent release, right now /0.9.0/. I still have to tweak this
> aspect of things a bit, so bear with me. (Do let me know of any
> outright breakage, though!)
>

> I think that's it for now, everything else ought to mirror the RC1
> release process pretty closely. I will be reaching out to the Python
> announce list, some local-to-me Python/Django user groups, and some
> folks who've previously blogged about Fabric. If you know anyone who
> would be interested in getting or talking about the new version,
> please let them know.
>
> Note: I expect development to go much faster now that I've gotten over
> most of the large humps involved with a rewrite and reworking of a
> project like this. Writing entirely new docs and test toolchains and
> release strategies takes a lot of time, but now I can do normal,
> incremental tweaks and push them out when ready. I'm looking forward
> to 2010 being a great year for Fabric!

Awesome. I have been pushing fabric at my work and I think I'm almost
accepted which will help me contribute a lot of handy context_managers
and contrib stuff.

> Finally, my thanks to everyone who submitted tickets, patches, or even
> just sent in a note to the mailing list -- I greatly appreciate all
> the support :)

Thank you for taking over the project. I find the 0.9 codebase much
better and great to hack on.