[fluid-dev] Fluidsynth and midishare on OSX (again)

From: Dougie McGilvray
Subject: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth and midishare on OSX (again)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:21:24 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to build a fluidsynth binary to run on OS-X for a user without fink/X windows etc who need its microtonal and soundfont support.

We have Jack 0.100.1 installed and running OK.
We have Midishare 1.90 installed and running OK (at least, msControler works).

When I configure fluidsynth according to http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2005-08/msg00001.html, it complains a lot about a midishare confidence test failing. On investigation, the config log is reporting problems with Byte not being declared properly: I added -D__Types__ on to the CFLAGS to work around that.

Here's my configure line:

./configure --enable-midishare --enable-functioncheck --enable-debug - --enable-profiling --enable-jack-support --disable-readline "CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -I/sw/include - -I/System/Library/Frameworks/MidiShare.framework/Versions/A/Headers - -I/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/Headers - -I/Library/Frameworks/Jack.framework/Headers -D__Types__" "LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib -L/sw/lib -framework MidiShare -framework CoreAudio -framework Jack"

and here's what configure reports:

ALSA:                  no
OSS:                   no
MidiShare:             yes
JACK:                  no
CoreAudio:             yes
LADSPA support:        no
LADCCA support:        no
Readline:              yes
Debug:                 yes
Profiling:             yes
use long long:         no
Pentium 3+ SSE:        no

(shame it's still picking up readline lib from fink, but I can always put that on the target machine too I suppose).

The executable builds and links cleanly, but on running:

dh176-215:~/Builds/fluidsynth-1.0.6 nick$ fluidsynth -m midishare
fluidsynth: debug: Using 'coreaudio' audio driver

fluidsynth: debug: sampleRate 44100
fluidsynth: debug: mFormatFlags 0000000B
fluidsynth: debug: mBytesPerPacket 8
fluidsynth: debug: mFramesPerPacket 1
fluidsynth: debug: mChannelsPerFrame 2
fluidsynth: debug: mBytesPerFrame 8
fluidsynth: debug: mBitsPerChannel 32
fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested midi driver
Failed to create the MIDI thread; no MIDI input
will be available. You can access the synthesizer
through the console.
fluidsynth version 1.0.6
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.

and there is no MIDI :(

I have searched through the archives without success, so any help qould be much appreciated.

Dougie