Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth and midishare on OSX (again)

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth and midishare on OSX (again)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:42:59 -0800

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 17:21 +0000, Dougie McGilvray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a fluidsynth binary to run on OS-X for a user
> without fink/X windows etc who need its microtonal and soundfont support.
>
> We have Jack 0.100.1 installed and running OK.
> We have Midishare 1.90 installed and running OK (at least, msControler
> works).
>
> When I configure fluidsynth according to
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2005-08/msg00001.html, it
> complains a lot about a midishare confidence test failing. On
> investigation, the config log is reporting problems with Byte not being
> declared properly: I added -D__Types__ on to the CFLAGS to work around
> that.

Do you think configure should attempt to fix this problem?  I'm still in
the dark as to how to make the OS X build process easier, seems like
there is a lot of extra linker and compiler flags that have to be
manually added.

> Here's my configure line:
>
> ./configure --enable-midishare --enable-functioncheck --enable-debug -
> --enable-profiling --enable-jack-support --disable-readline
> "CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -I/sw/include -
> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/MidiShare.framework/Versions/A/Headers -
> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/Headers -
> -I/Library/Frameworks/Jack.framework/Headers -D__Types__"
> "LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib -L/sw/lib -framework MidiShare -framework
> CoreAudio -framework Jack"
>
> and here's what configure reports:

> ALSA:                  no
> OSS:                   no
> MidiShare:             yes
> JACK:                  no
> CoreAudio:             yes
> LADSPA support:        no
> LADCCA support:        no
> Readline:              yes
> Debug:                 yes
> Profiling:             yes
> use long long:         no
> Pentium 3+ SSE:        no
>
> (shame it's still picking up readline lib from fink, but I can always
> put that on the target machine too I suppose).

The --without-readline switch to configure should disable readline.

> The executable builds and links cleanly, but on running:
>
> dh176-215:~/Builds/fluidsynth-1.0.6 nick$ fluidsynth -m midishare
> fluidsynth: debug: Using 'coreaudio' audio driver
>
> fluidsynth: debug: sampleRate 44100
> fluidsynth: debug: mFormatFlags 0000000B
> fluidsynth: debug: mBytesPerPacket 8
> fluidsynth: debug: mFramesPerPacket 1
> fluidsynth: debug: mChannelsPerFrame 2
> fluidsynth: debug: mBytesPerFrame 8
> fluidsynth: debug: mBitsPerChannel 32
> fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested midi driver
> Failed to create the MIDI thread; no MIDI input
> will be available. You can access the synthesizer
> through the console.
> fluidsynth version 1.0.6
> Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
> FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
> SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.
>
> Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.
>
> and there is no MIDI :(
>
> I have searched through the archives without success, so any help qould
> be much appreciated.
>
> Dougie

Hmm.  Not sure whats going on there, since configure did report that
MidiShare was enabled.  Perhaps there is a build issue with MidiShare.
Would be easy to overlook since I think it is not used as much as some
of the other Midi drivers.  I'll look into this.  Best regards.
        Josh Green