Re: [fluid-dev] New debian/ubuntu package available for testing

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New debian/ubuntu package available for testing
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 13:40:02 -0400

Hello Bernat,

Quoting Bernat Arlandis i Mañó <address@hidden>:
It installs and works ok, but building the package gives these warnings:

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libpthread.so.0 could be avoided
if "debian/fluidsynth/usr/bin/fluidsynth" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).

This makes sense, since libfluidsynth 1.0.9 depends on it, but not the fluidsynth executable. Future versions of FluidSynth might not depend on libpthread at all and use gthread instead. The one component that is missing though, from switching to gthread entirely, is a portable way to set thread scheduling priorities. So libpthread may end up still being used. gthread has a function for setting thread priorities, but I don't think it will use SCHED_FIFO on Linux. It would be nice if there was some portable way to indicate to the system a desired application latency and the OS would do what was needed to accomplish that.

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libncurses.so.5 could be avoided
if "debian/libfluidsynth1/usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.1.1.3" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on librt.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/libfluidsynth1/usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.1.1.3" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).

I thought ncurses was a requirement of readline. Perhaps that is no longer the case. librt also seems required for scheduling assignment, so I'm also not sure why that is indicated as not being used.

You should fix these for Debian and fix them upstream too for future releases.

I can't install the -dev package since it depends on
libjack0.100.0-dev, this is a dummy transitional package, you should
depend on libjack-dev instead.

Now that we're at it, QSynth is orphaned, aren't you interested on
maintaining it too? ;)

Cheers.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó