Re: [fluid-dev] New debian/ubuntu package available for testing

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New debian/ubuntu package available for testing
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:26:58 +0200

Bernat Arlandis i Mañó skrev:
> David Henningsson escrigué:
>>
>> These rows is what builds the fluidsynth executable:
>>
>> /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -Wall  -O2
>> -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops -finline-functions -Wall -W
>> -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
>> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused -Winline   -o fluidsynth
>> fluidsynth-fluidsynth.o libfluidsynth.la -lpthread
>>
>> libtool: link: gcc -Wall -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops
>> -finline-functions -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast
>> -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused -Winline -o
>> .libs/fluidsynth fluidsynth-fluidsynth.o  ./.libs/libfluidsynth.so
>> /usr/lib/liblash.so -luuid -lreadline -lncurses -ljack
>> /usr/lib/libasound.so -lm -ldl -lpulse-simple -lpulse
>> /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lrt /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so -lpthread
>> -pthread
>>
>> Do we need all these "-l":s above, and if we don't, how do we get rid of
>> them? (Hmm, ticket #38 suddenly comes to mind...)
>>

> It seems like autotools gets the dependencies for the project as a whole
> and then applies them to every piece built. There should be some way to
> tell which dependencies are for the lib and which ones for the
> executable, but I don't know. Have you asked DD?

No, as you're the only one that has worried about it, and it seems that
the problem originates from upstream. My personal guess is that the
warning is quite minor and can be safely ignored.

>> dnl The following script checks for ncurses support.
>> dnl I copied and adapted it from DataDisplayDebugger's (DDD)
>> dnl configure.in, written by Andreas Zeller <address@hidden>.
>>
>> DDD is GPL, and so is their configure.ac. This should not render
>> fluidsynth GPL though, since configure.ac is not linked with fluidsynth,
>> but I don't really know what else gets tainted by GPL, given this.
>>
> You're way too much picky with the licensing issues. Anyone (even Debian
> developers) would pick upstream's word as stated in the source code and
> documentation unless it's proved wrong by someone.

I've checked DDD's configure.ac and it is GPL (v2+) - and not stating
that in our configure.ac is a GPL violation. I don't think the problem
is larger than that we could add the necessary GPL notice.

> By playing the devil you're going against yourself and upstream.

I'm here on double roles currently, both as a FluidSynth developer and
as a Debian maintainer. I would appreciate if you could see me as a
mediator, rather than a devil.

Perhaps having both roles is bad, as it seems to cause some confusion
sometimes. Let me know if you would prefer me giving up one of those tasks.

// David