Re: [fluid-dev] Thread safety

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Thread safety
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:20:19 -0600

On Sun, 17 May 2009 10:20:18 +0200
David Henningsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Given that priority list, we should make the fluid_synth_t class
> single-threaded and avoid mutexes altogether. One reason for this is
> that one of Fluidsynth's most important usages are as a virtual
> instrument in MusE/Rosegarden/etc, and there I assume it is used
> single-threaded anyway. And given the current behavior (some amount of
> synchronization but not fully functional), I think we could say that
> getting rid of the synchronization would be backwards compatible.

   Just a dumb abuser here.
   I just want to make sure that this serialization does not effect the
   performance and responsiveness of libfuidsynth clients like qsynth.
   It's multi-engine capability for simultaneous rendering of soundfonts is so
   wonderfully useful.

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *
*   dashs.denver.co.us                         dashs.com               *