Re: [fluid-dev] What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low lat

From: Louis B.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low latency?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 13:50:49 +0100

Hello All,

Thanks for all your replies, Thanks for adding the Low Latency page on
the wiki page.
I will add some information for NetBook users which is perfect to put
on top of a piano.

I am sorry I put my point about QSnyth badly. I was just reflecting on
the fact that unfortunatly _very_ few users post bug reports when they
encounter a problem and that I was guilty of the same attitude when I
had a problem with QSnyth.

The point I was trying to make was that fluidsynth can be rather
difficult for non techie users to get running correctly especially
with low latency. The average users probably is not interested in midi
as they mostly use mp3 to play music. However those uses that
specifically seek out midi files can be divided into two camps --
those that want to just listen to the music (people working with music
notation etc) and those that use the midi input to play live and need
low latency. Does any body have an any idea what percentage of
midi/fluid users need low latency?

The more I think about it a fluid-start and fluid-stop script might
make it very easy for non techie users to startup fluidsynth with low
latency. It could do a "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz" to determine if
users had a low, medium or high powered machine. Now that
FluidR3_GM.sf2 is pretty good this script could automatically start
fluid with that sound font (Is FluidR3_GM.sf2 available to most Linux
distribution? are there any licensing restrictions with
FluidR3_GM.sf2?). It is just an idea anyway.

There is always the problem with underruns,  My atom baised NetBook is
probably a good example of the absolutely the lowest spec machine that
could run with low latency. Hopefully the main stream Linux
distributions will improve to guarantee a quality of service to
fluidsynth.

Thanks

L o u i s