fmp-hackers

[fmp-hackers] XML Literate Programming

From: Marco Kuhlmann
Subject: [fmp-hackers] XML Literate Programming
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 12:39:30 +0100

    Feri,

I investigated XML literate programming a little further.

DocBook has a literate programming extension, which allows you to
use the two commands src:fragment and src:fragref to embed and
refer to code fragments in a standard DocBook XML document.  I
attach a small example how it would look like.  The main drawback
is of course that certain characters in the Haskell source are
not acceptable within XML, such as < and &, and have to be
represented by XML entities &lt; and &amp;.

However, overall, I think that with some tweaking of psgmls and
the appropriate Makefiles, this would be a viable approach to go.
Personally, I would be quite interested to gather experience with
DocBook and literate programming in DocBook, but I understand
that it will require some extra work compared to the standard,
LaTeX-based approach -- work that perhaps should go to FMP
itself.  What do you think?

    - Marco