freepooma-devel

RE: [pooma-dev] Some POOMA questions

From: James Crotinger
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] Some POOMA questions
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:22:01 -0700

Hi Targei,

The existing POOMA data structures aren't really set up for parallel linear algebra - they were designed with data-parallel type of operations. Most parallel solver systems require special data structures, especially the sparse packages. There have been discussions over the years of building Engines that mapped to existing parallel data-structures for things like sparse linear algebra, but I don't believe that there have been any concrete developments in this direction. If you don't need parallel, then the BrickEngine is a Fortran-storage-order engine that maps N-D array to a contiguous chunk of memory, so the underlying raw pointer could be passed to an external dense linear algebra package.

You'd have to be more explicit on question 2. If the algorithms are data-parallel, then they're easy to write.

With respect to SMARTS, I don't believe it is being developed at Los Alamos, so I doubt there will be further changes unless they're done by this community, and so far there hasn't appeared to be a lot of interest in this. In my opinion, SMARTS doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have quite a few processors sharing memory, and that isn't the configuration that most folks are using these days. A fast MPI or other low-level message passing layer is probably better if the nodes only have a small number of processors.

With respect to commercialization, this seems unlikely. Some of us were approached by a company toward the end of our Los Alamos tenure about doing this but it really doesn't seem like a business that one could make much money at. If there was market demand for a commercial effort, I suspect it would be more along the lines of consulting to develop new capabilities either built into POOMA, in which case they'd be open-source, or built on top of POOMA.

        Jim