freeride-devel

Re: [FR-devel] question for linux types

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] question for linux types
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:20:27 +0100

Curt Hibbs wrote:
Laurent Julliard wrote:

Rich Kilmer wrote:

How do you open an HTML file in Linux? (specifically from FreeRIDE).

In win32 I can do this:

`start file.html`

And it opens IE or whatever is registered to view HTML.

-rich

netscape -remote "openurl(file://the/path/to/help/file.html)"
netscape -remote
"openurl(file://the/path/to/help/file.html,new-window)"  -> this one
opens a new window

I put netscape here because I use mozilla myself but we should ideally
have a config parameter somewhere pointing to the favorite browser of
the user or where the user can type the command to run to browse a
file (e.g 'start %s' or 'netscape -remote "openurl(%s)')

Now, for the very first release of FR it's probably safe to hardcode
the IE way and the netscape way.

Laurent

We don't have to hardcode a browser on Windows because all you have to do is
run:

    start file.html

and Windows will automatically run whatever browser the user has registered
as handling html file extensions (it doesn't have to be IE).

So in the case of Windows you'll simply hardcode

system('start http://www.rubyide.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UserDoc')

and for Linux I think we should not bother whether the user has gnome KDE or whatever installed. For the first release let's do the following

b) Let the user set up a property to indicate what is the command to run to display an HTML page (offer the netscape command by default) with a %s to substitue the URL to browse c) On Linux platform run the browser command once the URL has been substituted

In a future release we can test whether the user is using gnome KDE and refine this rough approach

Laurent