freeride-devel

[FR-devel] Intro

From: Robert McGovern
Subject: [FR-devel] Intro
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:28:05 +0000

First, thank you to Curt for approving my subscription. He also asked me to introduce myself so here goes :)

BTW Apologies for any spelling errors, teaches me to have not installed a spelling plugin into mozilla *sigh*

Who am I?

My names Robert McGovern, I live in the UK and have been programming (bug fixing :( ) for the last 3 years mainly in C & C++ with a bit of Java. I am now the only member of software team as the other two where made redundant over the last year. The projects I have worked on have been control software for large power feed equipment.

Ruby?

I came across Ruby about 3 months ago now, at the time I had been considering learning a scripting language. (I suppose mainly for the heck of it) The choice of course was between Perl & Python, after poking around and looking at a few tutorials I got put off and it was then that I came across a link for Ruby. I grabbed the prag programmers distro and quickly dug into the html pickaxe book. Quite simply I quickly feel in love with the simplicty of the language and its elaquence (readability). Since then I have been using it where I can for "quick" scripts / tools, for instance generating html files of my music collection (20000~ tracks), mass renaming digital camera pictures from one date format to another and so on. Presently at home I am doing an id3 v1 & v2 tag parser, which will eventually be part of a playlist generator.

I have now started introducing Ruby into some of the things that I do at work & as of mid last week I had begun to work with FXRuby. I just finished a small gui app/dialog that appears when something is submitted into our source control system (basically CVS + an sql database). Originally it had been done in tcl/tk but it had a number of problems, one of which breaks the sql database. Essentially I took the chance for a learning experience :)

Why am I here?

The reason I wanted to join this list is partly because I wanted to lurk and watch what happens. As I said earlier I haven't really done a mass collaboration project and I was interested to see what goes on and I think there is a good chance to learn here. Also because I am still wandering, I haven't really found a tool / ide that I am happy to work with (the same is true of mail clients, building one is a task that I keep considering). At home I generally use Eclipse and a work I use Vim & Source Navigator and they each have there pluses and minuses. From what I can see FreeRide looks to promise a lot and where I can I would like to help make it the tool I am finally happy with.

What can I bring?

Certainly the ability to test & find bugs, I have a habit of doing it be it for games, apps and websites. I admit that I am not the best programer in the world but I am willing to do what I can.

Well I think thats enough for now :) I hope I haven't bored you to much.

Any questions?

Rob