Re: Glyph Bitmap Caching in FreeType

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Glyph Bitmap Caching in FreeType
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 15:32:41 +0100

Hi,

"Feinberg, Matthew" a écrit :

> Ah, okay... now I understand.  For some reason I thought FreeType 2 was
> going to render entire strings.
>
> This makes much more sense now.
>
> How likely is it that you'll have a glyph caching component?  I was just
> about to have someone start working on adding glyph caching to our
> software, but if it's going to be available as an option component in
> FT2, then it seems a waste of time to duplicate effort...

Well, it's not a priority currently. There are many ways to implement a
glyph cache, depending on what you really want to cache (bitmaps, pixmaps,
outlines ??), and how you want to refer them (by glyph index, character
code, other encodings ??)

I think we'll try to provide a generic solution, feel free to start developing
a glyph cache for your own package that is more suited to your needs. It's
probably something that will come after the OpenType Layout code anyway..

Unless of course you're ready to contribute some code too ;-)

- David