RE: [Devel] FT2 + cygwin

From: Fleischer, Karsten (K.)
Subject: RE: [Devel] FT2 + cygwin
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:33:02 -0500

Hi Werner,

> is someone using FreeType 2 + cygwin?  We would like to get rid of the
> builds/cygwin directory (which is currently out of sync), moving all
> cygwin-specific stuff to the unix files.

It was me who produced these files, and as I said, it was a fast hack. I'd
prefer unix emulation stuff to go into builds/unix, too, because I have
switched from Cygwin to UWIN and do not want to make a builds/uwin
directory.

> Is this feasible?  What changes are necessary?

Generally, unix configure should work on UWIN and Cygwin without any
changes. But the detect.mk files have to be changed.

unix/detect.mk checks for /sbin/init, which is not there on Cygwin and on
UWIN. We would have to check for something "unixish" which is there on both
systems. There are other unix emulations for Windows (e.g. NuTcracker), but
I have only Cygwin and UWIN available, so I can't speak for them.

Maybe checking for /usr/bin is sufficient for detecting unix (like) system?

We also have to prevent DOS and Win32 detection.

DOS/Win9x/ME detection is done by checking for the COMSPEC environment
variable,
NT detection by checking $OS == Windows_NT.

I have a NT 4.0 machine and OS is Windows_NT on Cygwin and on UWIN, whereas
COMSPEC is only set to C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe on Cygwin. On UWIN it is
not set.

So what should we check for?
I'd volunteer for doing the necessary changes, although I have a lot of
other things to do at the moment (but that's makefiles, too, so not very
different).

Karsten