Re: [Devel] FT2 + cygwin

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] FT2 + cygwin
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:19:29 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> BTW, there exist Unix platforms where /sbin/init is executable for the
> users but not readable...

And I know a bunch of unices lacking /sbin/init completely.

> Has someone a better suggestion to detect Unix?

Platform autodetection is always prone to failures. You can use it when
you run things in a less or more controlled environment but it will always
break when released to the public. I myself would give up and remove the
feature completely or make it available with an explicit "I know what I am
doing" option only (something like "make setup autodetect").

To say something constructive: in order to detect unixish systems and
avoid being fooled by Cygwin, I'd look for /etc/profile. AFAIK, Cygwin
does not provide this file (even if it provides a bunch of other /etc
files).

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."