Re: [Devel] Silly autoconf question

From: Billy Biggs
Subject: Re: [Devel] Silly autoconf question
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 20:45:07 -0600

David Turner (address@hidden):

> Billy Biggs wrote:
> >David Turner (address@hidden):
> >
> > > As far as I know, '/usr/include' is a hard-coded include path in
> >
> > It works fine for me, since debian's ft2build.h is in /usr/include.
> > The problem is slackware which seems to have it as
> > /usr/X11R6/include and does not return that in --cflags.  Also, the
> > RH7.1 user which had it somewhere under .../include/freetype2
>
> Are you sure that FreeType isn't present in Slackware in both
> "/usr/X11R6" and "/usr" ?

  Well, I asked the user where ft2build.h was, and they said it was
/usr/X11R6/include and only in there.  They also said that --cflags did
not list this path, and that the build failed.

> What does "--cflags" or even "--prefix" return on this platform ?

  I'll try and find out.

> Does "gcc `freetype-config --cflags` -c test.c" work on Slackware ?
> If not, Slackware has a serious problem...

  I seriously think that they do.

> As for RedHat 7.1, I'm  really surprised and can't comment on it

  I can try to find out from the user what they were using.

> The intention is _certainly_ not to include the standard include path
> in the result of "--cflags". This avoids adding many superfluous
> "-I/usr/include" to Makefiles, and this behaviour is shared by all the
> packages that I know of that provide a similar configuration script,
> or are detected through pkgconfig.

  Ok.  That sounds reasonable.

> Note that if you do install FreeType in a non standard location (for
> example by doing "configure --prefix=$HOME/local"), then the resulting
> "freetype-config" will return the following for "--cflags":
>
>   -I$HOME/local -I$HOME/local/freetype2
>
> since both paths are needed to properly compile a program with this
> installation of the library.

  So this means that I can consider these errors to be bugs in the
freetype2 install and I'll indicate that to the users.  Many thanks.
This is quite helpful.

--
Billy Biggs
address@hidden