Re: [Devel] SVG & Fonts

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: Re: [Devel] SVG & Fonts
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:05:25 -0500

At 10:01 PM +0300 11/20/02, Vadim Plessky wrote:
And I am quite confident that number of Linux Desktops is much bigger
thannumber of people insatlled Adobe SVG plugin.

And you would be wrong - see my previous note about how Adobe has gotten the SVG viewer into MANY desktops...

I am still wondering what Microsof is planning to do with Vector Graphics.

        SVG - no question.

All that is missing is for them to actually bundle the Adobe viewer with every copy of IE and/or Windows. Hopefully the next major release...

If they decide to go with SVG - Flash woul dbe dead with next Windows release.

        We can only hope - I, for one, will NOT miss Flash/SWF...

If they continue with Flash (part of MS IE install) - SVG has low chances to
succeed.

        They'll still ship it because there are lots of sites still using it.

Tantek is project Leader for MacIE, MacIE and WinIE have different code bases.

        Tantek is a friend of mine, and a very nice (and smart!) guy.

Isn't it officially called ECMAscript?  (ecma.ch)

JavaScript was turned over to the ECMA/ISO by Netscape a while ago, and the official name for the language is now ECMAScript - though most call it JavaScript for historical reasons.

BTW: I think real engine behind is DOM.
You can impleemnt DOM binding to JavaScript (that's somewhat default/reference
implementation in most of W3C specs), Java (also presnet in some specs), C,
C++, C#, Perl, whatever.

        Correct.

Leonard
Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:address@hidden>