Re: [Devel] Trimmed monospace font: bug, feature or my fault?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Trimmed monospace font: bug, feature or my fault?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:23:11 +0200 (CEST)

> monospaced font (oblique or not oblique), transformation matrix set
> to identity - parts of glyphs outside their width are trimmed with
> same bounding box for oblique and not oblique font face

I can't repeat that.  To test the problem, I did the following:

  . Patching ftstring.c (from the ft2demos package) to always apply
    the transformation even if the angle is zero.  This gets the
    identity transformation.

  . Checking with fontforge that the font `Courier-BoldItalic' (from
    Adobe; in TeX distributions available as `pcrbi8a.pfb') has some
    glyphs which are wider than the advance width.

  . After a call to `ftstring -m ABCCBA 125 pcrbi8a.pfb' I checked
    whether trimming is happening for rotated/unrotated glyphs.  I
    can't see any problem!

  . Testing with a TrueType font (I used `qcrbi.ttf', again from a
    TeX distribution), I get the same correct result.

I can't help further, I think.

Can you contact the authors of the specific programs for further
investigation?