Re: [Devel] Trimmed monospace font: bug, feature or my fault?

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Trimmed monospace font: bug, feature or my fault?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:19:01 -0700

Around 19 o'clock on Apr 13, Stepan Roh wrote:

> monospaced font (oblique or not oblique), transformation matrix set to
> identity - parts of glyphs outside their width are trimmed with same
> bounding box for oblique and not oblique font face

Xft does this intentionally (if somewhat misguidedly) whenever the
application requests a fixed width font.  It is designed to help
applications which use only fixed-width fonts and expect them to always be
"ink inside".

There doesn't appear to be any way to override this behaviour at present,
but perhaps there should be.

-keith