Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:24:29 +0200 (CEST)

> Well, about a year ago, we/you have had problems when building X11
> that mkfontscale crashes while processing Type1 fonts with an
> illegal instruction on powerpc.  This was described several times in
> the archives, but I cannot find a bugfix for that problem.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed.  We don't use a powerpc at all.

> This only happens with the Type1 fonts (the others build fine!)  My
> host is a embedded PowerPC from Freescale (MPC8540, e500 core, no
> fpu)

Have you tried the current CVS?  I've added some boundary checks to
the type1 driver (but I don't think this is the cause of the problem).

Could you try to run valgrind on the process?  It seems that there is
a port to the PPC architecture...  Maybe this provides a more
meaningful result.

Recent gdb versions allow to debug C macros also.  Have you tried
this?  Otherwise, what happens if you convert FT_FACE_LOOKUP_SERVICE
from a macro to a function?

> To isolate it for the first step it's sufficient to only build
> mkfontscale within <...>/xc/programs/mkfontscale
> and then call it with mkfontscale Type1 (as already mentioned)

I've just run mkfontscale on my x86 GNU/Linux box, and I got no error
from valgrind.

BTW, what about the FreeType demo programs?  Can you make them crash?

> So, the first basic question: Is the above code okay?  Is the stack
> just trashed?

I have no idea, sorry.  My knowledge of assembler code is zero.  Maybe
David can help.