Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index(w

From: Christian Demmer
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index(worksforme)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:01:25 +0200

Clemens Koller wrote:
>So, my conclusion is (read the bugzilla report) that there still might
>be a bug either in freetype or in gcc.
>
>So, what's next? Do you consider to patch the makefiles (Jamfiles)
>of freetype if we build on <some special>-ppc32 platforms?
>Why does it fail if I don't use -fno-strict-aliasing?
>
>Currently, this is in a -works-for-me- state!

Great! :-)

In my opinion this looks like a bug in FreeType indeed. Somewhere the C
pointer aliasing rules must be broken but I can't say where exactly in
this macro hell. I think it's a random finding that the ppc backend
exposes this bug.
But I am not a C language lawyer, it could also be a gcc bug.

Greetings, Christian