Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index (

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index (worksforme)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:42:42 +0200 (CEST)

>  >  Wed Mar 10 2004 Mike A. Harris <address@hidden> 2.1.7-3 -
>  >  Added -fno-strict-aliasing to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to try to fix
>  >  SEGV and SIGILL crashes in mkfontscale which have been traced
>  >  into freetype and seem to be caused by aliasing issues in
>  >  freetype macros (#118021)
>
> Okay, here is my latest buildlog: [...]

Ah, now I remember!  Sorry.  Meanwhile, the configure script always
adds -fno-strict-aliasing for gcc (regardless of the CFLAGS value).

> So, my conclusion is (read the bugzilla report) that there still
> might be a bug either in freetype or in gcc.

It has been already fixed in the current CVS since 2004-11-16.  With
other words, the current CVS should work out of the box.  Can you
verify this, please?

> Why does it fail if I don't use -fno-strict-aliasing?

Because the FreeType code does some tricks which fail if strict
aliasing is active.  Fixing this is *not* trivial (and probably not
worth the trouble).