Re: [ft-devel] ft-2.1.10 and SING

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft-2.1.10 and SING
Date: 20 Sep 2005 08:30:29 -0700

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 13:23, David Somers wrote:
> Please find attached a patch against freetype-2.1.10, which allows SING
> glyphlet font files to be opened by Freetype.
>
> More info on SING Gaiji Architecture can be found at:
> http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/gdk/topic.html
I was looking at one of the .gai files from the GDK, and I can't figure
out the widths of the glyph(s) in the font.

These appear to contain normal (albeit tiny) CID-keyed CFF tables inside
them. The glyphs themselves contain no width information, so they should
be set to the defaultWidthX of the font. The TOP DICTs in these tables
do not contain pointers to a private dictionary, so the defaultWidthX
should default to 0 (at least that's what is documented in the CFF
document).

These can't be 0 width glyphs?

I can't find any documentation on the GAI file format. Technical Note
5148 only describes using Adobe's tools, while SING_Intro_IUC26.pdf only
gives a brief overview (it does not mention the problem I have above).
Can you provide a pointer to something I've missed?