[ft-devel] Re: ft-2.1.10 and SING

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: ft-2.1.10 and SING
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:07:58 +0200 (CEST)

> Please find attached a patch against freetype-2.1.10, which allows
> SING glyphlet font files to be opened by Freetype.

Applied, thanks.  I've used your old ChangeLog entry too.  Sorry for
not reacting earlier.  For some reason I've forgot, the bug was
sitting already in my private FreeType copy, and something has
prevented me to commit it.

Looking up old emails I find this:

  > Given that David Somers is interested to support fonts with the
  > new SING table -- which also don't have a `head' table -- I wonder
  > how to implement that properly.
  >
  > What about the following: If the font uses the SFNT format, check
  > the existence of the `head' table.  If it is in the font, treat it
  > as usual.  Otherwise, if there is a `CFF ' table, extract the CFF
  > data and handle it as a pure CFF.  If a `SING' table is present,
  > also use the data from `cmap' table.

  [...]

  Also, be aware that if there is no head, then
  FT_Get_Sfnt_Table(face, ft_sfnt_head) should retun null. Perhsps
  sfnt_dir_check should be modded to set a flag somewhere to indicate
  that the face is a variant of a sfnt, so other functions can act as
  appropriate. (May be setting face->os2.version to something like
  FFFC, etc.... either that, or is it worth adding a new item to the
  face structure to hold this condition?)

So it seems that your patch adds just rudimentary support to get the
glyphs, but proper cmap support is missing for the CFF case, right?
Can you work on this?