Re: [ft-devel] ft-2.1.10 and SING

From: dsomers
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft-2.1.10 and SING
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:48:37 +0200 (CEST)

> On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 13:23, David Somers wrote:
>> Please find attached a patch against freetype-2.1.10, which allows SING
>> glyphlet font files to be opened by Freetype.
>>
>> More info on SING Gaiji Architecture can be found at:
>> http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/gdk/topic.html
> I was looking at one of the .gai files from the GDK, and I can't figure
> out the widths of the glyph(s) in the font.
>
> These appear to contain normal (albeit tiny) CID-keyed CFF tables inside
> them.

Sure they are tiny... its only expected that there will be 3 glyphs at
most in there.

> The glyphs themselves contain no width information, so they should
> be set to the defaultWidthX of the font. The TOP DICTs in these tables
> do not contain pointers to a private dictionary, so the defaultWidthX
> should default to 0 (at least that's what is documented in the CFF
> document).
>
> These can't be 0 width glyphs?

I think you need to look into the SING table as this contains things like
unitsPerEM; vertAdvance; vertOrigin.

Also, since glyphlets are designed as replacements/additions to an
existing font, perhaps you need to refer back to that existing font to get
the defaults... I couldn't find anything like that in the specs, so its
just a guess on my part.

> I can't find any documentation on the GAI file format. Technical Note
> 5148 only describes using Adobe's tools, while SING_Intro_IUC26.pdf only
> gives a brief overview (it does not mention the problem I have above).
> Can you provide a pointer to something I've missed?

The only documentation is the set of 5 PDFs provided in the GDK.

Greetings from Luxembourg,

David