Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 07:00:15 +0100 (CET)

> I'm unable to duplicate the first issue you mentioned, regarding the
> B/W text.

Ah, I forgot to tell you how to build.  For a build with subpixel
hinting, simply I say

  make devel
  make

from a clean (unmodified) repository.  For a build without subpixel
hinting, modify `devel/ftoption.h' (*not*
`include/freetype/config/ftoption.h!) and comment out
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING.  Then do again `make devel; make'.

This creates static builds, making sure that you don't access the
wrong DLL accidentally.  FontConfig is not involved at all.

> Regarding the second issue, with speed, I am able to dupliate it
> with arial.ttf, but the ratio is 4:1 instead of 14:1.

The above development builds are unoptimized, maybe this explains the
difference.

> I've kind of been hiding behind the fact that they glyph bitmaps get
> cached after the first run, and load quickly thereafter. :)

Hehe.

> I'll see what I can do.

Have you already done profiling with gprof or similar tools?