[ft-devel] State of autohinter stem darkening

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: [ft-devel] State of autohinter stem darkening
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 12:04:32 +0200

Hi list,
I'm using my autohinter stem darkening patches daily and so far only have stumbled over a minor rendering difference and one major fault: DroidSansFallback.ttf renders excessively bold after FT_Outline_EmboldenXY treatment, meaning, the same emboldening values lead to a much stronger emboldening compared to the same values for other fonts. I noticed that the font is constructed with 256 units per EM. I don't know why this happens. Using ftview to open the font and pressing "2" to go to the emboldening view, the font renders similarly to other fonts in that mode. It's just when I do it inside the autohinter that emboldening is excessive. Is there any special processing in the autohinter that I'm overlooking?

After this is resolved, the code should be ripe for a review :)

https://github.com/madig/freetype2/tree/stem-darkening-autohinter