Re: [ft-devel] State of autohinter stem darkening

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] State of autohinter stem darkening
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:00:14 +0200

- I think stem darkening should be tested without gamma applied for
many reasons. Your monitor might have additional gamma correction
settings, which might be different from mine. Gamma correction works
against you when you render light text on dark background (I wish
ftview could do that). I think that the whole point of stem darkening
is that it is better than gamma correction in this respect.

The code in FT does nothing with gamma actually. That's a separate step a rendering library should do to the bitmaps it gets from FreeType. The screenshots I provided so far were just made with a hacked pixman ;)

And gamma correction leads to better results with light text on dark background as far as I can see: https://bel.fi/alankila/lcd/

Stem darkening is intended to work hand-in-hand with gamma correction. You can run without it, sure, but it won't look too pretty and might exacerbate the already present color-fringing, blotchiness and pixelness of glyphs ;)

- Can you perhaps clean up your git repository, so that it looks like
a small number changes without intermediate trial and error fixes?

Hm.. you mean I should set up a clean branch and chop up the big diff against master into a handful of changes that build on top of each other to arrive at a finished patch to be merged? Could do that in the coming days or next week(ish).

Speaking of trial and error fixes, I added a few more of them just now because the code might not have actually been entirely ready for a review ;)