Re: [ft-devel] State of autohinter stem darkening

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] State of autohinter stem darkening
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 16:46:53 -0700

On 10/22/2015 12:55 PM, Nikolaus Waxweiler wrote:
 Mac OS X is probably doing it that way (Dave? ;)).

I haven't checked lately, but a couple of years ago, Apple (MacOS and iOS) was
doing something strange.

There were indeed using linear blending for subpixel/LCD rendering. Here, there
is an additional requirement. You need to blend in a linear color space in
order to cancel out the color fringing. They used gamma 2.0.

But Apple was using non-linear blending (gamma 1.0) for grayscale antialias. I
don't know why, unless it was some kind of compatibility goal with older
versions of the OS. This caused really strange effects when the rendering mode
changed, as it did for an iPad rotated from landscape to portrait. There were
even bloggers suggesting that you needed to switch to a lighter weight font in
portrait mode, without understanding why. They just noticed that the black text
looked heavier when linear blending was turned off.

Microsoft Windows has been doing linear blending for a long time (20 years?) for both
grayscale and "ClearType". They used a default gamma of 1.4, but starting in
Windows XP gave users the ability to configure gamma.

I believe Google's Android has a default blending gamma of 1.4, but individual
vendors are free to change this, and some do.

-Dave