Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction demo images

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction demo images
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 10:26:06 -0400

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> The world needs more linear alpha blending and gamma correction. Spread the
> gospel!

We can start with changing the default gamma value in ftsting
(defaults to 2.0) and ftview (defaults to 1.0). They have always been
examples for the rest of the world. I hope Werner does not mind this
change. What would be best default value though? David Turner argued
that it is gamma = 1.4
(http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2004-06/msg00022.html).
David Arnold also thinks that is lower than 2.2, perhaps 1.8.

I think we can answer this question more precisely. We need a
synthetic font with the following glyphs: a single very thin near
vertical line and a series of the same lines next to each other. The
waving affect should produce something like Moiré pattern in the later
unless correct gamma is used. We can calibrate gamma correction.