Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction demo images

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction demo images
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 14:42:41 -0400

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Alexei Podtelezhnikov
<address@hidden> wrote:
> What would be best default value though? David Turner argued
> that it is gamma = 1.4
> (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2004-06/msg00022.html).
> David Arnold also thinks that is lower than 2.2, perhaps 1.8.

The attached image can be used to calibrate gamma correction. You just
need a program that can apply gamma correction, e.g., GIMP. Without
any correction (gamma = 1.0) the image should produce a visible moiré
pattern. With correct gamma applied, you should not see any pattern.

Gamma = 1.8 works best for me. What is your gamma correction? Please
reply for survey purposes.

Than you,
Alexei