Re: [ft-devel] [smooth] Implement minimal dynamic padding for LCD filter

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [smooth] Implement minimal dynamic padding for LCD filtering. -- Still breaks Firefox
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 09:13:22 +0200 (CEST)

>> You think that distributions will do an update to FreeType 2.8.1
>> (to be released in a few months, I guesstimate) *before* they do an
>> update to Chrome or FreeType?  I consider this very unlikely.
>
> Then what about all these electron apps like vscode?  They use an
> old Chromium version internally and update it only very rarely:
> https://ibb.co/miFg3F

Hmm.  If I follow your argument, there will be no progress at all in
FreeType.  It's a pity that Chromium violates the public API, but this
has to be fixed eventually.

In case application maintainers don't want to update Chromium, they
have to bundle FreeType.

> So all I'm saying is that this patch will cause many problems and I
> don't think the gains are worth the pains.

I disagree, but thanks for the heads-up.