Re: [Freetype] Re: Summary of ANSI preprocessor trouble..

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: Summary of ANSI preprocessor trouble..
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:41:56 +0100

Hi Alan,

> An example later shows
>
>   #if VERSION == 1
>         #define INCFILE "vers1.h"
>   #elif VERSION == 2
>         #define INCFILE "vers2.h"
>   #else
>         #define INCFILE "versN.h"
>   #endif
>   #include INCFILE
>
> So I'd say, the latter way is the way to go if we want to use cpp
> tricks to find headers.  Unfortunately, that _still_ means changing a
> bunch of files.  I think it would probably be better to skip the cpp
> tricks and use -I (or similar on other machines), but I can't remember
> why that choice wasn't used in the first place....

well, we originally started by using #include <freetype/...> in
all of FT2 sources, but some people complained that it didn't
follow the "true" UNIX way, and that using a -I wasn't
a good idea..

Also, someone posted a link to the Mozilla portability guidelines
which prevents the use of directory names in #includes (though
they do not really explain why)

using macros like FT_FREETYPE_H, etc.. seemed to solve both
these problems, until the "##" trap appeared, of course :-)

We could certainly go back to "<freetype/...>" and see new
complaints ??

I'm however waiting for results regarding the latest changes,
hopeful that they will solve our worries..

Regards,

- David