Re: [Freetype] Certain characters of pbf fonts don't render?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Certain characters of pbf fonts don't render?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:21:42 +0100 (CET)

> ./dvipng warning: unable to set font encoding
> FT_ENCODING_ADOBE_CUSTOM for
> /sw/tex/teTeX/1.0/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmr8a.pfb
>
> This is not a math font but urw times. The fallback to _STANDARD
> will make ligatures disappear. The ligatures are present in the
> font, they display fine when I use the proper reencoding.

FreeType can only provide information the font offers.  utmr8a.pfb
says that it uses /StandardEncoding by default; this is what FreeType
correctly reports.  What you want is a mechanism to add a charmap to a
font.  Hmm, we need a kind of FT_Define_Charmap to create a
user-defined charmap which can be attached to a font.  Any
suggestions how such an interface could look like?  And is there a
volunteer who wants to implement that (provided that we all agree
that such a feature is useful)?

    Werner