[ft] Multiple FreeType2 versions in an application

From: Ineiev
Subject: [ft] Multiple FreeType2 versions in an application
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:45:38 +0300

Hi,

Last month I tried to adopt FreeType2 library
for a printed circuit boards (PCBs) layout tool
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcb).

Of course, as it uses GTK or Lesstif for GUI,
it uses the system FreeType2 library;
what I want is to teach the tool
how to draw FreeType fonts on the boards.

As PCB drawing primitives are not bitmaps,
I draw them with lines or polygons
(the latter is not very successfully yet).
There are some samples at
http://ineiev.users.sourceforge.net/pcb/

Some of these look really good, however I have seen
that when linking to different FreeType2 versions
it produces slightly different results. in my case,
this is not acceptable because e.g. differently
drawn symbols may overlap the traces.

So I install freetype-2.3.9 in a build directory
at PCB layout tool configure time and link
statically to this library.

Now the questions begin.

First of all, though I can build and run it on my
systems, won't the libraries conflict on another
system? something like mentioned in
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype/2002-07/msg00006.html
?

Then, will it really provide repeatability with
accuracy of an LSB or so?

At last, is there any way to use more than one
FreeType2 version in the application? say, if I
eventually want to upgrade the internally used
library, I'll need to provide compatibility
with files created with older versions of the tool.

Simply linking with different versions is certainly
impossible due to conflicts; I tried also naively to
sed "s/\<FT_/FT0_/g", but the resulting executable
didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
   Ineiev