Re: [ft] Multiple FreeType2 versions in an application

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Multiple FreeType2 versions in an application
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:46:27 +0200 (CEST)

> [...]
>
> So I install freetype-2.3.9 in a build directory at PCB layout tool
> configure time and link statically to this library.
>
> Now the questions begin.
>
> First of all, though I can build and run it on my systems, won't the
> libraries conflict on another system?

If you link statically, this can't happen.

> Then, will it really provide repeatability with accuracy of an LSB
> or so?

What's `LSB'?  In addition, I don't understand the question.  Please
elaborate.

> At last, is there any way to use more than one FreeType2 version in
> the application? say, if I eventually want to upgrade the internally
> used library, I'll need to provide compatibility with files created
> with older versions of the tool.

In theory, this is possible, I believe, if you use DLL versions of the
FreeType library, and you enforce linking to a certain version.
Another solution (at least with GNU/Linux) is to preload the library
using the LD_PRELOAD environment variable to load a specific versions.
Note, however, that those my observations are educated guesses only.

It's not clear to me why you want to upgrade the FreeType library at
all if you want to assure a certain rasterization...

    Werner