[ft] Multiple FreeType2 versions in an application

From: Ineiev
Subject: [ft] Multiple FreeType2 versions in an application
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:34:32 +0400

Sorry, forwarding to the list
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ineiev <address@hidden>
Date: Mar 31, 2009 10:28 AM
To: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>

On 3/30/09, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
 >> First of all, though I can build and run it on my systems, won't the
 >> libraries conflict on another system?
 >
 > If you link statically, this can't happen.

How nice!

 >> Then, will it really provide repeatability with accuracy of an LSB
 >> or so?
 >
 > What's `LSB'?  In addition, I don't understand the question.  Please
 > elaborate.

I meant least significant bit - possible round-off and other small
 computation errors; probably a stupid question, but I am quite new to
 the library.

 >> At last, is there any way to use more than one FreeType2 version in
 >> the application? say, if I eventually want to upgrade the internally
 >> used library, I'll need to provide compatibility with files created
 >> with older versions of the tool.
 >
 > In theory, this is possible, I believe, if you use DLL versions of the
 > FreeType library, and you enforce linking to a certain version.
 > Another solution (at least with GNU/Linux) is to preload the library
 > using the LD_PRELOAD environment variable to load a specific versions.
 > Note, however, that those my observations are educated guesses only.

Thank you. I'll try.

 > It's not clear to me why you want to upgrade the FreeType library at
 > all if you want to assure a certain rasterization...

Certainly, there is a contradiction. I must leave old texts as they were,
 but it is not impossible that I'll want features of a newer version
 (for new texts); of course, it is not very likely to happen because
 the library is very stable now.

 Best regards,

   Ineiev