[Fsfe-uk] ReplaceFlash, was: BBC digital curriculum service in England

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] ReplaceFlash, was: BBC digital curriculum service in England
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:53:20 +0100

On 2004-10-13 11:34:11 +0100 Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:

http://www.affs.org.uk/~alex/HowDoWeReplaceFlash

Thank you. I think this is a good grants target too.

[...] plugin problem is exactly that. If you want to combine SVG and SMIL,
for example, how does interactivity work? On non-free platforms, for
example, SMIL might be provided by RealPlayer, SVG by an Adobe plugin.
Can an interactive SVG animation affect the SMIL synchronisation/timing?
I would guess not. [...]

In theory, it should be possible. I've seen plugins activate hyperlinks in the browser window before and it should just be links to fragments in the SMIL to control it, as I understand it. Whether that works depends on the current browser APIs and someone who develops websites using plugins more than I do may know. Anyone?

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Speaking at ESF on Sat 16 Oct - http://www.affs.org.uk/